Pages

You like us! You really like us!

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Nine Ladies Dancing (YWCA of Cass Clay)

On the 9th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…

NINE LADIES DANCING

I am one lucky lady.  Now, my life isn't perfect -- far from it.  But I have the things that truly matter. I have two loving and supportive parents who encouraged me to reach for the stars. I have two brothers who continually demonstrate what it means to be a respectful and honorable man.  I have a patient and kind hearted husband who adores me and tolerates my crazy ideas and has helped me grow into a confident, strong, and much more composed woman than I was before we met 10 years ago. I am the mother of two amazing, healthy, smart, funny, and adorable children who motivate me to be a better person so I can be the best role model I can to them.  I have colleagues who challenge me to be a better professional every day, and teach me more than I ever thought I could learn about this business! I have loyal and compassionate friends who show me all the time that wonderful people really do exist in this world that is sometimes not as wonderful as it should be.

My motivation.  Photo courtesy of Milestones Photography.
For these reasons, and for countless others, I am going to give back. Sometimes giving of yourself can make as much or even more of a difference than your dollars can. During our company 'Give' campaign this year, I heard a speaker describe the desperate need they have for volunteers are our local YWCA shelter. I thought, "Wow, I'd love to do that, but I'm just too busy". I said it last year, and I said it again this year. 

Well, you know what? That's a crappy excuse. Busy? So are the other volunteers that show up there to give of their time. So are the women and children whose lives are interrupted by abuse and poverty and loss of jobs or their home.

So hoping that my ever-supportive husband would fly solo with the kiddos one night a week (he has done this on multiple occasions, and for far more ridiculous reasons) I rolled the dice and made a phone call this morning, to our local YWCA.  The volunteer coordinator asked me, "what types of things are you good at?"  *Crickets*  After what seemed like 3 solid minutes of silence on the line, I finally managed to utter, "Um, I guess I'm okay with computer stuff.  Got anything for nerds?"  She chuckled, and then told me about their Education and Employment program.  Essentially, the YWCA provides education and assistance to women in the areas of financial management, parenting, customer service, basic computer skills and other job skills.  I thought, "hmm, okay, I think I might actually be able to do a couple of those things".
 
Like... I supported Microsoft Office for two years, I should be able to teach others how to use it!

And my current job is entirely customer-service based.

And I know how to balance a checkbook. In fact, I can pinch a penny so hard it'd make Lincoln toot.

The parenting thing is debatable (see any number of my previous blog posts)… but I can read bedtime stories and change diapers like a rock star.

So I can do this! I can and will give of my time so that other women can have the opportunities that I have been given, and take for granted every day of my life. So I will go home tonight to my big warm house full of nice things, occupied by my kind and loving husband and beautiful children… and I will give thanks for everything I have been blessed with in this world.

As their mission says, "The YWCA Cass Clay is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom, and dignity for all." So today, to help envision a world where all ladies are 'dancing' to their fullest potential, my donation of time will go to:

The YWCA Cass Clay

1 comment:

Bren said...

The gift of time is the greatest gift to offer! The rewards are reflex.